Monday, June 4, 2007

Cria watch is finally over for the Spring!

Nayla finally delivered her cria Saturday morning about 8:30 a.m. I was in the barn earlier in the morning and she ate her breakfast and didn't seem overly uncomfortable. I was going to run some errands and I always make a stop at the barn before venturing out. Low and behold she had just delivered her baby. He is another white male weighing in at 19 lbs. 4 oz. His neck muscles appeared to be somewhat weak as he had some difficulty holding his head upright. I have been working with him around the clock for the last couple of days to be sure he is nursing and supporting his head and I'm happy to report he is doing much better. He now holds his own head without any difficulty but I will continue to monitor him very closely until I'm sure he is out of the woods. I'm sure this is a result from positioning while he was in utero.
I feel like I can relax for a short time now that cria watch is over for the Spring. We will now get busy on breeding these girls back and do behavior testing to confirm pregnancy.

No comments: