Friday, June 20, 2008

New Cria - totally unexpected!!!!



This morning has proven to be quite an interesting day. We have been on cria watch for three of our females that are due this month (one being overdue). After morning chores and a shower I went back out to check on all the females, the girls I'm patiently waiting to deliver were quite comfortable resting chewing their cud. I decided I would go for another walk to the back pasture and check on the other female pen, well low and behold Cover Girl had just given birth to a true black female cria. The funny thing was I was planning on breeding Cover Girl this Spring. I attempted to breed her for the first time last Fall but she never acted ready and would run from the males (no wonder). I assumed she was still immature and would hold off until Spring, Surprise, Surprise. I know last Spring we did have a break in to the girls pen with Teddy and Dante and I didn't think they had a chance to breed anyone, boy was I wrong. I strongly suspect Dante is the father as his mother was a true black. I will know for sure when I send in the blood to match up the DNA.
I happy to say that Cover Girl is the most attentive mother especially for her age. She has plenty of milk. I will post a picture of Golden Touch's Black Lace this afternoon. She weighed in at 18 lbs. 2 oz.

No comments: