Saturday, May 19, 2007

Hummingbird nest!

I wanted to share a photo of a hummingbird nest I was fortunate enough to find. A couple of years ago we were moving stuff into the barn and a hummingbird kept dive bombing us. I knew there must of been a nest somewhere close by and sure enough in a maple tree close to the barn on a low hanging branch. The nest was only about 6 feet off the ground and I took a peak and there were two little eggs the size of peas. At the end of nesting season I did some research to see if the nest would be re-used and they do not so I have the pleasure of having it. I keep it safe in a ring box. The nest is delicately lined with sheep wool and moss that grows on trees in the yard.
Ever since finding that nest I am very careful about trimming low hanging branches in nesting season. If it must be done I inspect the entire branch to be sure I would not destroy the next generation of hummers. So for all of you that attract the hummers please be sure to be extra careful when trimming tree branches.

No comments: