Saturday, May 5, 2007

Silverlee delivers!

Well our shearing day got delayed this morning to greet our newest member to the alpaca herd.
This morning I went out to feed and Silverlee had no interest in eating grain or hay. While everyone else was chowing down she quietly just layed down. I could tell she was very unsettled as she went to the dung pile and then would return to lay back down again. This continued for several hours until about 9:20 she started with contractions. I had got all my essentials ready and just kept a very close eye on her from a safe distance. I didn't want to distract her from the task at hand but wanted to be close enough that I could intervene if possible. Sure enough after a couple of good pushes I could see the front feet and head and that point she was having a little difficulty with the shoulders as the front legs were crossed over not letting the shoulders relax. I gently uncrossed the legs which allowed the shoulders to come and the rest just slid right out. In the photo he is only seconds old. He has been weighed and is a bouncing 15 lbs. 2 oz. He has already nursed and starting to work out his "sea legs". I will up load some more photos through out the day.
As I said mother nature has a way of letting us know that life is just unpredictable. I was confident that Tee-Tee would be first to deliver and boy did I call that wrong.

No comments: